Yemen sentences Frenchman’s killer to death, two AQAP inciters get jail
SANA’A, Jan 17 (Saba) – Yemen Handed down on Monday death sentence to Hisham Muhammad Ahmed Asim, 19, after convicting him of killing a Frenchman under criminal motives and under incitement from Al-Qaeda propagandist Anwar Al-Awlaki last year.
Asim, who worked as a guard for the office of the Austrian OMV Group in Sana’a, went on a rampage on October 6 killing the office director French Javor Henry, 46, and injuring a British security officer, Jordon Hold, 65.
He was arrested shortly after the incident.
Interior Minister Al-Masri said then personal and criminal motives were behind the shooting which also bore the hallmarks of Al-Qaeda.
Asim’s trial started in November along with a trial in absentia for Anwar Al-Awlaki, who the authorities said had incited Asim to commit the murder.
Today, the Specialized Penal Court also sentenced Anwar Al-Awlaki to ten years and Othman Al-Awlaki to eight years in prison, with both sentences for charges of inciting to kill foreigners.
The court ruled the three formed an armed group to target foreigners.
Appeals against the conviction were submitted by the defendants’ lawyers after delivering the ruling.